About Manuscript Appraisal
Many people would like to write a short story, novella or novel. If you are one of them, but would like professional feedback on your manuscript, then please read on…
I enjoy encouraging fresh talent or helping more experienced writers develop their work further by offering constructive criticism. I have over fifteen years experience working for The London School of Journalism and Writing Magazine as a creative writing tutor, a reader for the Romantic Novelists’ New Writers’ Scheme and reviewer of books for the Historical Novel Society.
Steps in the manuscript appraisal process
- Fill in the enquiry form below to briefly introduce yourself and your project.
- Complete payment via PayPal.
- Submit your manuscript via email.
- Your manuscript is read, analysed, and critiqued on the receipt of payment.
- Your manuscript appraisal report is written.
- You receive an email with the manuscript appraisal report and any annotations on your manuscript within 28 days.
What is included in the report?
Your manuscript appraisal report will look specifically at reader engagement appeal, characterisation development, pace, plot development and exposition. Suggestions will be made on all aspects as well as discussing any general writing tips.
Your manuscript appraisal report and annotated manuscript will be returned via email within 28 days.
(Please note: This is not a proofreading service, although common errors will be discussed in your manuscript appraisal report. Refunds are not available during or after appraisal. This service is open to all fiction genres other than erotica.)
Services and Rates
Up to 3,500 words (£70.00)
Submit 1 – 2 page outline and a first chapter.
Up to 10,000 words (£125.00)
Submit 1 – 2 page synopsis and the opening three chapters.
Over 10,000 words
Longer submissions will be by arrangement. Please message me with details and I will be happy to give a customised quote.
Synopsis writing (£75.00)
A synopsis is needed if you are trying to convince an agent, publisher or editor to represent your work. Turnaround of feedback is within 28 days, or in very busy times by agreed arrangement.
If you struggle creating a synopsis that captivates and grips the reader, then I can help.
For a synopsis of 1 to 2 pages, answer the following questions and I will create one for you. Please do not submit the full manuscript, just your own synopsis if you have one.
- What is the genre of your novel?
- What is the theme of your novel – in one or two sentences? Keep it simple!
- Who is the protagonist(s)?
- Who is the antagonist(s)?
- What do they each want to achieve?
- What obstacles stand in their way?
- What do they risk losing if they do not overcome the obstacle?
- How do they change and grow as a result of overcoming the obstacle?
- How does the story end?
Please contact me below to request an manuscript appraisal.
Payment is handled via PayPal.